Re: mutating C binding arguments?

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: mutating C binding arguments?
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:25:40 +0200

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 09:02:13PM +0200, Michael Livshin wrote:
: "Lars J. Aas" <address@hidden> writes:
:
: > :   gh_call2( gh_lookup("values"), arg1, arg2 );
: >
: > While we're on the subject; am I understanding it correctly if I believe
: > this call will never return?
:
: why?  `values' is just a procedure that builds and returns a data
: structure.  the only sensible thing to do with the result is to return
: it, of course.  and the caller must (per r5rs) expect multiple values.

OK, I was confused on when the consumer was invoked.  I thought calling
values would get the consumer called indirectly then and there, but I
now figure the consumer is tail-called by "call-with-values" on the value
returned by the producer, which has to be the value returned by "values"?

Now it makes sense that looking up values only once should suffice too :)

Thanks,

  Lars J