Re: precompiled guile gtk for windows

From: John A. Maxwell
Subject: Re: precompiled guile gtk for windows
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:14:59 -0500

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> asked:

>   If this is a FAQ, just mail me a URL where I can read it up.  :)
>
>   Is there a place where I can download a precompiled guile-gtk?  If it
>   is no longer necessary because there is a precompiled guile that can
>   use "GTK+ and GIMP for Windows" -- can anybody point me to

No precompiled binaries AFAIK.

>   instructions on what to download and how to install the stuff?  If no
>   precompiled binaries exist -- are there any known difficulties when

Should be possible to "port;" one of these days, I'll get around to
trying it, as it would improve my quality of life. The only _known_
problem with guile on Windows is that the source code file for let*
doesn't conform to Windows' file name restrictions (i.e., it contains
a '*'). I'm hoping very hard that that's the _only_ problem, so it
should just be a matter of changing that file name and catching all
references to it.

As far as GTK+ on windows, that's a third-party effort; the main GTK+
team isn't worrying about it. How many headaches will be generated by
the fact that it and guile/gtk are both under development, and whether
or not the version of GTK+ that guile/gtk uses is different from the
one that GTK+ for Windows uses... good questions, all of 'em.

>   attempting this by myself?  I have a Cygnus b20 environment on my
>   Windows NT machine and it works fine.  I have Phython/Tk on the same
>   machine, works fine, too.  A colleague has "GIMP for Windows"
>   installed and it works, too.  Knowing very little about the gimp and
>   nothing about the gimp for windows -- does a working gimp mean that
>   guile for GTK is automatically installed somewhere?

No. The gimp uses a scheme-ish extension language, but it isn't guile.

-John

--
John A. Maxwell (address@hidden)

For those who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they
like.