Re: Announcement: mgrabmue-pers-scheme-0.0.1

From: thi
Subject: Re: Announcement: mgrabmue-pers-scheme-0.0.1
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 03:26:55 -0800

   From: Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden>
   Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:48:31 +0100

   As you can easily see, the naming and packaging scheme for this
   package were shamelessly stolen from the ttn-pers-scheme package of
   Thien-Thi Nguyen.  (I hope you don't mind, ttn.)

i'm flattered!

some people have asked why i named the package "ttn-pers-scheme".
because this is the scheme that i use personally, i figure it's not an
inaccurate name.  also, some old philosophy says something about the
cultivation of the state (of the art?) begins w/ the cultivation of the
[recurse here] begins w/ the cultivation of the individual, so i like to
think that by sharing not only bits of code, but the packaging of such
bits, refinement can occur, possibly to the point of automation.

this brings me to GUMM.... the first task is to define the module
hierarchy, but that has been contentious in the past.  if we accept that
quality arises from the perception of the interface and that programmers
are first and foremost, personal, with their code, a natural scheme with
three branches exposes itself.

the first branch is (surprise) "personal"; the namespace here is a user
name or handle or nick or whatever-you-want (as long as it's unique).
sub-modules can be structured any way you want.  this is why if you
follow mgrabmue and ttn, your modules can be easily incorporated into
GUMM and used as such:

  (define-module (my-stuff)
    :use-module (gumm personal ttn html-world)
    :use-module (gumm personal mgrabmue http)
    :use-module (gumm personal j-r-hacker funky-combo))

ok, i just realized my bedtime was a few hours ago.  will spew forth on
the second and third branches tomorrow...

thi