Re: emebedding guile line command interpretor

From: Hilaire Fernandes
Subject: Re: emebedding guile line command interpretor
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 23:07:05 +0800

On 05 Feb 2001 22:43:49 +0000
Neil Jerram <address@hidden> wrote:

Neil>     >> So, is this the problem?  If so, what is the GUI written in?
Neil>     >> (X, Gtk, ...)
Neil>
Neil>     Georges>     GTk.

Oops, I miss that. DrGenius is based on Gnome this make some difference as
there is the ZvtTerm widget that can emulate a Xterm terminal and this
brings more facilitie. From the DrGenius GUI one can create a ZvtTerm
widget then fork a guile interpretor "into" this zvterm. Then
the communication between the DrGenius precess and the guile process
can be done with pipe. From there what I worry about is how time
consumming is this way of communication, is it doeable for realtime
geometric motion ?

Another possibility, what about rewritting the DrGenius GUI (Gnome based)
in 100% Guile then using extern C libs for the geometric engine.
Another silly question, with a Guile/gnome application, is possible
to expose the interactive shell guile interpretor in a zvterm?
What I wonder, with a Guile/Gnome application is it possible to embed
as well the interactive shell in the GUI (the same interpretor that run
the GUI and the geometric engine)
Not sure this is clear.

Neil> Right.  Personally, I'd go for option 3.  To see roughly what you need
Neil> to do, take a look at the files gtk-1.2/gtk.scm and gtk/event-repl.scm
Neil> in the guile-gtk distribution.  In summary:

I need to check what is repl

Hilaire

--
OFSET - Organization for Free Software in Education and Teaching
http://www.ofset.org