Re: Equivalent to set! in gh_ interface?

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: Equivalent to set! in gh_ interface?
Date: 14 Feb 2001 19:10:49 +0200

Brett Viren <address@hidden> writes:

> I can't seem to find a gh_set() C function.  What is the equivalent to
> the scheme `set!' procedure when calling from C?

`set!' is not a procedure.  it's an "overloaded" syntax for two
different things:

* changing the binding of a lexical variable.  this is impossible to
  express in C.

* changing the binding of a top-level variable.  this would be
  possible to do if the concept of a top-level variable (or a module)
  was somehow exported in the gh_ interface, but it is not.

so I guess that you want to achieve the effect of `set!'ing a
top-level variable.  `gh_define' should do the trick, I believe.

--
Think of C++ as an object-oriented assembly language.