Re: install directories

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: install directories
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:48:46 +0100 (MET)

> OK, I'll add (export-all) to Guile and deprecate the old stuff (that
> is, it will print warnings and a pointer to a longer description of
> what to do instead).

I like your proposal a lot.  However, I am not sure about export-all.  I
had thought this was just meant as an example when you explained your
proposal.  Is it a good idea to have such a form?  IMO, it is cleaner to
state explicitly what gets exported.

> > One concern I have is if you just go with the libguile-MOD-MOD
> > approach and guile ever gets a large number of dynamically loadable
> > modules, it'll make /usr/lib (or wherever) very unweildy.
>
> It is already, I'd say.  I don't like the way Unix shared libraries
> are done at all.

I am not sure whether this is portable among systems, but I think it
should also be possible to store guile stuff in some subdirectory of
/usr/lib, say /usr/lib/guile.  You load it with:

  (dynamic-link "guile/<some-lib>.so")

With your proposal, we don't need to make this a policy, since the
corresponding scheme level loader can use any file name and location
anyway.  Making it a policy (assuming that is is portable), however,
can be convenient, for example if we add a line -L/usr/lib/guile to the
output of 'guile-config link'.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann