Re: install directories

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: install directories
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:08:53 -0500

At 25 Feb 2001 22:01:09 +0100,
Marius Vollmer wrote:

> > For example, from guile-xlib: `x-open-display!' is a primitive that
> > is intended to be exported; whereas `x-change-gc!' is a primitive
> > that I might not want to export, but instead use in the Scheme part
> > of guile-xlib to define exported procedures like
> > `x-set-line-width!'.
>
> Can't you make that distinction in the Scheme file, using an
> approriate `export' statement?  If you have additional non-trivial
> code in the Scheme file, I find it more natural to have the list of
> exported bindings there as well.

What about generating an interface file automatically?

--- foo.c ------------------------------
SCM_EXPORT ("foo");
SCM_DEFINE (scm_foo, "foo", ...)
{
}

generates

--- foo.i -----------------------------
(export foo)

which is loaded by

--- foo.scm ----------------------------
(define-module (foo)
  :link (libfoo init_foo)
  :include "foo.i"
  )

or something.

I'm going to clearly distinguish interface files and object files
in my VM.  With an interface file, one can easily see what bindings
are exported from a module.  Also, the compiler can avoid loading
object files during compilation.  Both interface and object files
can be automatically produced from a single source file.

Kei