Re: Goops, set! and define-syntax throuble

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: Goops, set! and define-syntax throuble
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 00:56:39 -0500

> > ;;; Modified by Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> according
> > ;;; to the ChangeLog distributed in the same directory as this file:
> > ;;; 1997-08-19, 1997-09-03, 1997-09-10, 2000-08-13, 2000-08-24,
> > ;;; 2000-09-12, 2001-03-08
>
> Wouldn't it even fulfill the idea of the license to include a sentence
> like "Modified according to the ChangeLog distributed in the same
> directory as this file." ?

There are many ways of wording it.  I did not quote the GPL
because I thought it imposed a legal requirement on the form
of the comment, the file in question was not even under GPL.
I just thought the GPL is a good guide to how to Do the
Right Thing, which would be known and accepted by this
group.  I could as well have quoted Don Knuth.  "Literate
Programming".

>  IMO, either referencing the Changelog isn't valid, then your
> solution above wouldn't help either, otherwise it wouldn't be
> necessary to duplicate the information from it.

The question is not what is required by law, but what is
going to be most informative to someone who reads the code.
Let's not waste time trying to find the minimum legal
comment, but rejoice in the opportunity to express ourselves
and be creative as we inform and amuse future generations
who will want to know how and why the code came to be as it
is.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <address@hidden>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>