Re: Linking Guile with Borland C++Buider

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Linking Guile with Borland C++Buider
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:10:57 +0100 (MET)

> From: "John Fitzgerald" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:53:58 +1300
>
> I am trying (desperately) to embed Guile as an extension language into a
> suite of programs on
> the MS-Windows NT platform.
>
>     * I have compiled Guile using gcc under Cygnus and it works fine when
> running as a
>       standalone interpreter.
>     * I have embedded Guile into a C++ program compiled entirely with gcc
> and that works fine.
>
> But when I try to embed it into the same C++ program compiled with Borland's
> C++Builder 4.0
> I am given the message:
>
>     [Linker Error] 'C:\CYGWIN-2.25.NEW\USR\LOCAL\LIB\LIBGUILE.A' contains
> invalid
>                    OMF record, type 0x21 (possibly COFF).
>
> The problem is obviously arising because of a mismatch of object module
> formats.  Although this
> isn't really a Guile problem, has anyone already solved it?

You might want to try out

http://www.textsure.net/~ela/download/guile-1.4.zip

which is a native port of Guile 1.4 to Windows, compiled with M$
Visual C.  It includes

guile.exe                 The interpreter.

libguile.dll              A DLL containing the Guile library.
libguilereadline.dll      Readline, packages as a DLL.

lib/libguile.lib          Static link library versions of the above.
lib/libguilereadline.lib

as well as the necessary ice-9 Scheme modules and the headers.

Please note that I have not tried it out myself as I don't use
Windows, but the object formats hopefully match betwenn M$VC and
Borland C.

Please let me know if it worked for you.

Regards,
  'martin

P.S.: for those who are interested: http://www.textsure.net/~ela/
contains some more Windows ports: gdbm, regex, pcre (Perl compatible
regular expressions), expat, readline, crypt, libiberty).