Re: Accessing C/C++ structs in Guile.

From: Bill Gribble
Subject: Re: Accessing C/C++ structs in Guile.
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:31:57 -0600

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 08:37:18AM +0100, Martin Grabmueller wrote:
> > 2) Is there some automated way that will take the header file holding
> > the C/C++ structure definition and generate necessary Guile code?
>
> Have you looked at the interface generator SWIG yet?  I haven't used
> it either and don't have an URL handy, but maybe it will help you.

Gnucash uses 'g-wrap', which takes a scheme interface definition file
and generates c and scheme glue code.  As our usage of guile has
grown, so has g-wrap's sophistication about data types and memory
management semantics.  It's not perfect but it's good enough for our
purposes and getting better all the time.

The g-wrap maintainer is Rob Browning (address@hidden); right now
the only way to get it is from the Gnucash ftp site;
ftp://ftp.gnucash.org/pub/g-wrap/source/ .  Unfortunately there have
been some major interface changes since the documentation was last
updated; the best way to figure out what's going on is to look at
examples.

Thanks,
Bill Gribble