Re: ttn-pers-scheme & mgrabmue-pers-scheme

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: ttn-pers-scheme & mgrabmue-pers-scheme
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 07:12:10 -0500

At 21 Mar 2001 10:36:59 +0200,
Ivan Toshkov wrote:

> I think this already appeard on the list, but how about making something
> like CPAN? IMHO CPAN is the think that made perl that popular.

This has been proposed several times, but nobody has enough time
to organize it.

I think the first thing we should have is a package manager.
Could anybody propose and implement one?

I'm considering something like the following.

Package Structure
-----------------

  guile-foo/        - package directory
    GPKG.def        - package meta file
    foo.scm         - module

Meta File
---------

(define-package foo
  :category     (utils)
  :version      "1.0"
  :require      (((core) > "1.4"))
  :author       "Keisuke Nishida <address@hidden>"
  :language     (("\\.scm$" . scheme))
  :modules      ((foo "foo.scm"))
  )

Interface
---------

Package meta commands:

  ,dist            build a distribution package
  ,find REGEXP     find a package using the net
  ,install PKG     download & install a package

I appreciate more detailed discussion on this.

Kei