Re: Newbie seeks guiding hands.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Newbie seeks guiding hands.
Date: 21 Mar 2001 23:31:20 -0600

Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden> writes:

> Note that Gnucash does more than using Guile just for simple
> user-extension.  A lot of Gnucash is written in Scheme, so it maybe
> is more like Emacs in that respect [Gnucash experts: Please correct
> me if I'm wrong].

You're exactly right.  Several of us on the project would generally
rather write scheme code unless there's a good reason for using C.
Right now, good reasons have usually included performance, library
access (i.e. manipulating GNOME/GTK), or special reservations.
i.e. up to this point the financial engine has been generally been
intended to remain C-only.

Over time, the quantity of guile code has been getting larger.  For
example, in the latest CVS, we have a new reporting system that's
basically a fancy styled web-page generator, and most of that's
written in Scheme and dumps to gtkhtml via g-wrap.

Recently, Bill and I have been investigating ways to make guile fast
enough that we're less likely to have to move things to C just for
performance (the html generation, etc. is too slow, as is the QIF
importer which is also nearly all guile code).  So that's why I've
been popping up on the guile devel list and talking about profiling,
hobbit, etc.

FWIW