Re: (net http) 0.1

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: (net http) 0.1
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:44:05 +0200

> From: Evan Prodromou <address@hidden>
> Date: 26 Mar 2001 21:21:01 -0800
>
> OK, that's very helpful, I'll check it out. I use the Debian guile-1.4
> package, so I'm probably a little behind on the latest stuff. The main
> reason I started writing (net http) was because I read this:
>
>         "HTTP routines
>
>          It would be cool if people could use Guile to implement web
>          robots and the like. Tim Pierce started to work on this, but
>          it's not finished."
>
> on this page:
>
>         http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/ideas.html

Well, I think it's not that you're behind, but that both the guile-www
package and the `Guile Ideas' page have bitrotted.

> It is probably a good idea to instead allow small messages to have
> string content, and larger messages have ports, and use a check
> (string? port?) when sending.

I don't think that's necessary.  For small messages, the user could
always create a string port, like:

(call-with-input-string "Content am I"
   (lambda (port)
     (set-header request port)))

(beware, pseudo-code!)

>     MG> Thanks for posting interesting code
>
> Hmmm... "interesting" code. I'll take that as a compliment. B-)

Of course!  After working around the incompatibility with current CVS
guile, it worked like a charm!

Best regards,
  'martin