Re: Guile Logo -- more stuff

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Guile Logo -- more stuff
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 01:08:17 +0200

> From: Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:33:00 +0200 (MEST)
>
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, thi wrote:
>
> >    From: Keith Wright <address@hidden>
> >    Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:03:40 -0400
> >
> >    Also, I'm afraid a quote mark would look like something
> >    stuck on his horn.
> >
> > how about:
> >
> >     <GNU>:guile
> >
> > where <GNU> is the GNU head graphic on top of (or interspersed somehow
> > with) a `#' char?  the "powered by" logo could be an "application":
> >
> >     (<GNU>:guile)
> >
> > or maybe the `:' could be made of tiny little GNU heads, one laughing
> > one crying, etc etc...
>
> Well, I think the nice thing about the collection of logos that Martin has
> designed is, that they will also look nice if you shrink them somewhat,
> i. e. for some powered-by logo.  If you add smallish things like : where
> every dot itself is a picture of its own, you won't be able to see such
> things on a smaller scale.

Even with the current GNU I got scaling problems with the web banners
(and they are still too large, IMHO), but I wasn't in a mood for
removing details from the GNU -- until now, it was nice to have only
one GNU head to work with.

> IMO, a good logo is simple, but still expressive.  That's perfectly
> met with the current collection.

That is why I think we should agree on the non-3-D version.  It is
well suited for low-end file formats (256 Colors) and does not
distract too much.  We can of course have additional, more advanced
versions for special purposes.

>  Actually, it _might_ be worth trying to add a beard to the gnu,
> just for the sake of correctness.  But, apart from that I think
> there's not much room for improvements (and I am not even sure if a
> beard would really look good - you could even argue that the way the
> gnu holds its head, you might just not be able to see a beard anyway
> :-).

Have a look for yourself and compare the bearded with the non-bearded
version.  At first I was against the beard but I became kindof used to
it and now ... I don't know.

> What about defining a deadline for submissions?  Everybody who likes to
> can make submissions, possibly (if Marting and potential other submitters
> agree) using existing submissions if they only want minor things to be
> changed?  After that, we have a voting phase.

Good idea.  Anyone to volunteer as an independant submission/vote
organizer?

> (Well, I will be on vacation for the next two weeks.  But, then, I am
> already happy with the current suggestions :-)

Everybody should feel free to send in suggestions, but I will not get
to them before Tuesday.

BTW, I am really flattered by the positive reactions.  Nobody out
there who thinks the logos are crap?  Come on, there *must* be
someone.

*yawn* time for bed...

'martin

P.S. 800+ hits until now.  If I had known before that so many people
are reading the Guile lists, I would have been more careful about what
I write...