Re: Guile Logo -- more stuff

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: Guile Logo -- more stuff
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:32:33 -0400

Martin Grabmueller wrote:

> > From: "Dale P. Smith" <address@hidden>
> > Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:46:48 -0400
> >
> > Dirk Herrmann wrote:
> > > IMO, a good logo is simple, but still expressive.  That's perfectly met
> >
> > I think it ought to be made into an animated gif (or whatever) with
> > "oscillating eyebrows". ;^)
>
> After thinking about your suggestion in private email (thanks Dale), I
> have played more with Gimp and made an animation where the GNU blinks
> with both eyes.  Looks cool.

I thought that first mail got lost, it was supposed to go to the list.

> But we have two problems here:
>
> * the first (solvable): my local Gimp does not want to save the
>   multi-layered XCF as an animated GIF.  Maybe it's just a GIF library
>   missing, but I'm not sure.
>
> * GIFs are considered evil because of patent problems, so they are not
>   allowed on GNU pages.  I don't know if there is another commonly
>   supported format for animations.

The gimp has no code to save to gif format.  Licensing and Patent
issues.  You would need to save individual images, convert them into
gifs with ImageMagick (or something) and glue them together with
ImageMagick (or something).  I'm not a graphics person, so others can
help you more than I can.  I recently had to mess around with a lot of
images (see gkrellmoon on sourceforge), and I was told to use
ImageMagick.  It did exactly what I needed.  It's *very* powerful!

Is there any other animated image format that is in common browsers
besides gif?

-Dale
--
Dale P. Smith