Re: uniform-vector?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: uniform-vector?
Date: 20 Apr 2001 14:32:21 +0100

    >> Guile's implementation of uniform vectors needs some
    >> improvement, yes.  Would you like to work on it?  If so, I can
    >> provide you with some thoughts about how things could be done
    >> quite nicely.  Otherwise, well, I may find some time to work on
    >> the stuff, but that won't be in the near future.

    Masao> Now I'm peeking libguile/ChangeLog-scm and have noticed
    Masao> that Uniform Array came from SCM.  It looks like that the
    Masao> first implementaion has been done easily and the design has
    Masao> not been so considered.

Delicately put.

    Masao> It would be (realy) nice if I can help this improve, but no
    Masao> idea if I can't do it. Okay, I'm trying to read unif.c and
    Masao> learn things around it. And please give me the thoughts if
    Masao> you don't mind your thoughs may be in vain. ;-)

And may I suggest that you shouldn't feel frightened to change the
interface?  From a documentation point of view, this (uniform vectors
and arrays) is IMO one of the most difficult areas of Guile to
document rationally, because ... er ... it doesn't seem very rational.

(Of course, we should retain a back-compatible interface as well.)

Best regards,
        Neil