Re: Please explain different macros

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Please explain different macros
Date: 20 Apr 2001 21:27:38 +0200

"Dale P. Smith" <address@hidden> writes:

> > If you do not have a very special reason to use one of the
> > `procedure->...' functions, you should avoid them.  Use `defmacro',
> > `define-macro' or `define-syntax' instead.
>
> I just grabbed the docs for those because they were almost identical.
>
> So: defmacro is acro, define-macro is macro, define-syntax is mmacro ?

No, no, no.  defmacro and define-macro are both mmacro, and
define-syntax is something that I'm not too sure about, working via
the system transformer.  define-syntax gives you hygienic macros,
which need more magic to be implemented correctly.  See R5RS for a
description of define-syntax.

My point was that you should avoid using the `procedure->...' forms
since they are very specific to the current implementation of the
Scheme interpreter in Guile.  Compilers such as Hobbit or Keisukes VM
will not like them.