Re: To gh_ or not to gh_?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: To gh_ or not to gh_?
Date: 12 May 2001 15:01:25 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Abstractions are very good things, but there comes the time for
> every abstraction to be broken.  It is very annoying when you can't
> do something as cleanly as possible, even when you know exactly what
> you want to do and how to do it, just because someone decided that
> you are not to be trusted to know what to do.

But I think there *are cases where you have a function or variable
"foo" which should *only* be used by source files baz.c and bax.c.
i.e. the kind of function or variable, that if the source didn't need
to be spread across two files for other reasons, you would have just
declared as static inside baz.c and have been done with it.  Basically
I'm talking about a variable/function that is just *never* appropriate
for client code to be using.  I don't know if Guile has such bits, but
other projects I've worked on have.

And this is the kind of thing that I was suggesting that private,
non-installed headers seem appropriate for, though as I've said, I'm
not opposed to the #define solutions either.  It's fine with me.