Re: ttn-pers-scheme 0.19 available

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: ttn-pers-scheme 0.19 available
Date: 19 May 2001 21:08:47 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> So, this oughta work
>
>     (if (not (defined? 'read-line))
>         (use-modules (ice-9 rdelim)))
>
> Of course, you would give the hypothetical compiler a hard time with
> this.

Probably depends on how smart the compiler's supposed to be.  Right
now, this would just turn into code that's part of the
top-level-actions function that's called when the compiled object is
loaded, and that would probably DTRT.  However, if you wanted the
compiler to be smarter and optimize across module boundaries, then
that would be a lot rougher.  The compiler would have to know about
what the code is "doing".

In Guile, for agressive optimization, I suspect the compiler will
eventually have to know about use-modules, and handle it specially.

> It is probably better to move conditional module system operations to
> macro-expansion time.  Could `cond-expand' be extended to allow for
> more general tests?

SRFI-7 might also be relevant here.