Re: In search of cool Scheme

From: Hans O. Lowe
Subject: Re: In search of cool Scheme
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:22:23 -0500

Sometime on Thursday, Harvey J. Stein wrote:

> My point is that you get to be able to evaluate the derivative at
> specific points for free.  In other languages you'd have to write an
> evaluator to be able to use the symbolic derivative.

You're absolutely right about being about to evaluated the result (if
I understand you correctly). The beauty of Lisp is, you get a
symbolic result from 'differentiate', which you can either pass along
to another function, or apply it to the numerical values as you
mentioned. Though I would say it is done at a very low cost, rather
than 'free'. :)

The opinions expressed here do not represent those of my computer.