Re: Debugging with PSD

From: Thomas Wawrzinek
Subject: Re: Debugging with PSD
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:55:34 +0200 (MEST)

Hi!

address@hidden writes:

 > I'm interested in putting some time into getting Guile debugging
 > working.  Would you (plural) say that PSD provides a good definition
 > of what you are looking for in a debugger?  What are the most
 > important debugging features?

Just a quick overview. PSD has (in its own tiny command language):

* Inspection of variable values (with `val')
* Setting of varibales (via 'set!')
* Returning a value ('r')
* Stepping (over lines or sexps)
* Moving up and down the call stack
* A quick help
* Running till next breakpoint
* Clearing breakpoints
* Setting breakpoints (I only tried its emacs interface for this)
* Instrumenting (also from emacs)
* Evaluating lists as procedure calls (which would allow real magic ;-),
  but a quick try revealed that e.g. (apply ...) does not work properly. :-(

What is missing from my point of view (much inspired by gdb):

* Conditional breakpoints
* Watchpoints
* Finish
* A command language to define new commands and possibly run loops etc

Some of these could possibly already be done via the procedure calls
mentioned above, but it would be nice to a more convenient way ...

Then, I would want R5RS compliance (maybe only tedious work, for arbitrary
large values of 'only'), and support for syntax-case/syntax-rules macros,
and that's probably very difficult ...

Regards,

                        Thomas