Re: Environment and module

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Environment and module
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 13:32:55 +0200 (MET DST)

> From: Manuel Giraud <address@hidden>
> Date: 06 Jul 2001 12:42:55 +0200
>
>         - Is the environment structure still a draft proposal as it is
>           said in
>           http://www.gnu.ai.mit.edu/software/guile/docs/env.html
>           because I'm not able to find anything in guile 1.4;

Yes.

>         - How do I create and use my own guile module ? Can I "close"
>           a module and return to the previous bindings and syntaxes ?

You can `close' a module by just switching to another module, like this:

  (define-module (foo bar))
  ... do something in module (foo bar) ...

  (define-module (oh no))
  ... now we're in module (oh no) ...

Or, you put a `define-module' clause at the top of a file and use
`use-modules' to load it.  Then, after loading the file, you are again
in the module you started from.

>         - A finally more general question : What is, for you guys, the
>           best documentation for guile (source excepted) ?

You should check out the docs for current CVS Guile, available from
CVS and for example from

http://www.glug.org/docbits/

with the Guile Reference Manual at

http://www.glug.org/docbits/guile-doc-out/html/guile-1.5.0/guile_toc.html

The manual, and some examples in the `examples' directory are in CVS,
and available as a snapshot from

http://www.glug.org/guile-core.tar.gz

HTH,
  'martin