Re: guile-gtk?

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: guile-gtk?
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 16:07:59 -0400

address@hidden wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 10:11:30PM -0400, Ariel Rios wrote:
> > On 14 Jul 2001 05:09:56 -0700, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> > > We're having real trouble here building guile-gtk; with the
> > > current Guile and version 0.19, it complains about scm_listify; with the
> > > 0.21pre gnome cvs version, it wouldn't build even with the
> > > following set of tools:
> > [...]
> > First of all thank for your interest in gnome-guile and guile-gtk.
> > The problem is that the version pre version you pulled is not a
> > guile-gtk version but a gnome-guile one. I have only made
> > a gnome-guile 0.21 pre version.
> > You should go to CVS and get guile-gtk and not gnome-guile.
>
> Ok, i just deleted my guile-gtk directory and did:
>
> | bash-2.03$ echo $CVSROOT
> |  :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/gnome
> | cvs checkout guile-gtk
> | bash-2.03$ cd guile-gtk
> | bash-2.03$ ./autogen.sh
> | ./autogen.sh: /usr/local/share/aclocal/gnome2-macros/autogen.sh: No such
> file or directory
>
> Hmmm. I don't want to start flame wars or unreasonable complaints, but
> to me there seem to be some fundamental problems with the current
> status of the guile-gtk bindings. From the documentation and
> public anouncements one could read that guile-gtk provides guile bindings for
> the Gtk widget set (and nothing more). Yet it seems impossible to build
> it without a working gnome (2?!) build system arround. I Ariel as the
> maintainer decides that this is a wise way to go that's perfectly
> fine with me, but a) this should be mentioned in the documentation/website,
> maybe the name of the package should be changed to something like
> guile-gnome-gtk
> to reflect the nature of the bindings (but then, where is the difference
> to guile-gnome?).

I just recently tried to build guile-gtk from cvs.  It was very very
difficult.  Even after I got all the proper pieces I still had to edit
some files to build properly.  See the guile-gtk archives for some of my
adventures.  You don't need *all* of gnome, just some of the
configuration system.

Supposedly, all the extra gnome spooge is for CVS guile-gtk.  A released
tarball will already have ./configure built and should only need Guile,
Gtk+ and standard tools to compile and install.

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
Treasurer, Cleveland Linux Users Group http://cleveland.lug.net