Difficult Problem

From: Crowder, Brian
Subject: Difficult Problem
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:56:55 -0700

I have a pre-existing C++ architecture in a project that I'd like to add
guile to.  The problem is, the program heavily depends upon threads (in both
Win32 and Linux).  I need (ideally) to be able to have multiple threads
executing different guile scripts or expressions simultaneously....  I've
taken a stab at this, but I don't seem to be able to get the interpreter in
a useful state at the time a thread is read to execute...

The arch is something like this (pseudocode):

main() { gh_enter(real_main); }

real_main() {
        CPPThread threads[10];  //spawns threads

        for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
                threads[i]->Run()  // start threads running

        wait_for_threads_to_finish();
}

CPPThread::Run()
{
        gh_eval_str("(+ 3 4)"); // ERROR:  Stack overflow
}

Any suggestions on making this work, or am I on crack?