Re: advice needed: (or 'guile 'clisp)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: advice needed: (or 'guile 'clisp)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:07:22 -0500

Ivan Petrovich <address@hidden> writes:

> Does scheme have an interface to gtk+? I wanted to use GNUPlot for
> graphing and have planned to 'control' GNUPlot using IPC
> (pipes/etc). There thre better interfaces available?

You might also consider jgraph or plotutils, among others.  For the
latter, you could probably publish libplot (or the bits you need) as
guile functions using guile's C interface.

>> I am working on a RPC implementation in guile (I have one for
>> common-lisp), which would solve the kind of interprocess communication
>> problem you have.

Another alternative *might* be to just use regular guile-level sockets
and pass plain old scheme forms, via write/read between processes.

> p.s. One major reason why I am considering using Common Lisp over
> guile is the availability of documentations. Much of guile is
> undocumented. And I have a hard time building from the source. I hope
> that will change.

You might want to check out guile's 1.5.1 beta version, soon to be
1.6.0.  The documentation is much improved (many thanks to those
working on it).  You can find it at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/guile.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu