Version numbers

From: Mr. Peter Ivanyi
Subject: Version numbers
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 17:18:44 +0100

Hi,

I am confused. What is the significance of the different version numbers
?
I have downloaded (and am using) 1.4 from the GNU site (I assume that is
the current stable version), but here on the list I see version 1.5
(I suppose development) and version 1.7 (which I do not know what).
Can somebody explain, which version is at which level of development and
stability ? (I could not find this information in the FAQ or on the GNU
Web site.)

Thanx, in advance.

                                                Peter