Re: Version numbers

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Version numbers
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 00:08:10 -0700

   From: "Mr. Peter Ivanyi" <address@hidden>
   Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 17:18:44 +0100

   I am confused.  What is the significance of the different version
   numbers?  I have downloaded (and am using) 1.4 from the GNU site (I
   assume that is the current stable version), but here on the list I
   see version 1.5 (I suppose development) and version 1.7 (which I do
   not know what).  Can somebody explain, which version is at which
   level of development and stability?  (I could not find this
   information in the FAQ or on the GNU Web site.)

guile versioning philosophy has changed.  it used to be simple
MAJOR.MINOR in the classic GNU style, but starting post 1.4, it is
MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO, w/ semantics similar to that of the linux kernel.

so, all the 1.5.x series are "unstable" and w/ enough feedback and
bugfixes, a 1.6.x series will be released at some point.  all released
versions are available to everyone, of course, but those w/ even middle
numbers are "stable" and in the eyes of the maintainers, most suitable
for universal distribution.  1.7.x is the next unstable series, work on
it to begin in earnest once the first 1.6.x is released, and eventually
leading to a 1.8.x series.  and so on.

what this means to you: if you are new to guile or have used 1.4 (or
earlier) in the past, you should use 1.5.x and then demand 1.6.x from
your distribution packagers once it comes out.  if you package guile for
a distribution, you should tell the package maintainers in your
distribution who use guile read this post, and then distribute 1.6.x.

please see NEWS in the distribution for more info on versioning details
and other changes (many significant) since 1.4.

[i will add the above explanation to the FAQ.]

thi