Re: Better support for transition to guile-1.6

From: Miroslav Silovic
Subject: Re: Better support for transition to guile-1.6
Date: 04 Oct 2001 15:19:06 +0200

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. Our policy requires the Guile developer to write an entry for every
>    deprecated feature what the application programmer should use
>    instead (HACKING/Coding standards/The normal way of removing a
>    function, macro or variable/paragraph 4).  That way, as soon as
>    something fails when compiling against a new Guile, the programmer
>    can always look up the feature in NEWS and know what to do.

Hear, hear! :)

I have already been burned on Guile-1.4 (it was not painful and it did
not include too much swearing, though). I think another good idea is
to also add TRANSITION (or similarily named file) that would be a
quick-reference with 1 line for each deprecated feature, and either
the replacement in that same line or a documentation pointer if it
involves more than can fit the line.

--
How to eff the ineffable?