Re: system default shell

From: Steve Tell
Subject: Re: system default shell
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:47:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, David Pirotte wrote:

> is there an xwindow beep command? (i looked everywhere i could, but could
> not find anything: 'beep' is part of the ncurses lib but i don't know how

How about
   (write-char #\bel)
to send a control-G to stdout, and hope the terminal does somthing
sensible with it, such as beeping or flashing the screen?
Unless I'm mistaken, a curses-library beep() couldn't do much more than
this?

There is an XBell() xlib function - the projects list at glug.org includes
a guile-xlib library.  I've heard mention of richer X audio extensions,
but I think they're all quite experimental yet.  It would be nice if there
were somthing in between simple beeps and a full-on audio library though.

Steve Tell  address@hidden