Re: Questions about floating numbers, rethink and bug report

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: Questions about floating numbers, rethink and bug report
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 23:25:26 +0200 (MEST)

On 14 Oct 2001, Neil Jerram wrote:

>     Dirk> Virtualizing, BTW, is an implementation technique - in some
>     Dirk> sense.  The term comes (at least that's what I assume) from
>     Dirk> the concept of virtual functions in C++.  [...]
>
> I've not thought deeply about the vector-specific case, but my
> immediate reactions to your suggestion about virtualizing vectors are
> that
>
> - yes, virtualization is a good idea in general
>
> - we already have a general virtualization mechanism -- GOOPS -- and
>   so should use that rather than inventing an additional mechanism.

OK, then how would you replace SCM_VECTORP and friends?  How does your
virtual function lookup mechanism look when using goops?  I'm curious,
because I currently don't see how low-level types can be virtualized using
goops without a noticeable performance drawback.  Could you give a code
example for how you would do it, please?

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann