Re: Symbol vs. Value Question

From: Robert A. Uhl
Subject: Re: Symbol vs. Value Question
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:07:32 -0600

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 07:42:33AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> Hmmm. It looks as if you are passing the symbols. Thus you get
> the symbols. Try not quoting the list, i.e. say for example
>
>   (trav-mapobject-set-owner (list planet asteroid))

Yep--that's exactly what the problem was.

> Note that in Lisp and its daughters there is more distance between
> a symbol and its binding(s) than we mght be accustomed to :-)

Well, I'd figured roughly what was going on.  I'm supposing that the
(list ...) method is more usual and appropriate than the '(...)
method?

That said, is there a good way in guile to grab the value of a symbol?
Like I said, I was reading source and header files late into the night
and had no luck.  But perhaps I was looking in the wrong direction.

--
Robert Uhl <address@hidden>

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink
I feel ashamed.  Then I look into the glass and think about
the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and
dreams.  If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of
work and their dreams would be shattered.  Then I say to
myself, `It is better that I drink this beer and let their
dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'
                                             --Unattributed