Re: Using a C pointer in Guile

From: Bill Gribble
Subject: Re: Using a C pointer in Guile
Date: 23 Oct 2001 17:14:09 -0500

On Tue, 2001-10-23 at 16:41, Brian McAndrews wrote:
> I want to have the ability to pass a C pointer to guile.  I then want to
> modify the data structure pointed to by the pointer such that those changes
> are reflected back on the C side of things.

There are a lot of ways to do this.  I prefer 'g-wrap' which is a tool
for wrapping C data types and functions for use by Scheme.  It understands
the idea of C pointers and can wrap them up as Scheme objects.  You can
get it at ftp://ftp.gnucash.org/pub/g-wrap.  The current version 1.3.1 works
with guile 1.3.4, 1.4, and 1.5.x.

Yes, SMOBs are the low-level tool that gets used to represent the pointers,
but there's really no need to worry about that when you have a nice tool to
do the work for you :)

Bill Gribble