Re: Web development

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Web development
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 17:45:21 +0000

Sergey:
> There are many attepmpts to use guile in web already. But all of then
> are in childhood and add nothing to basic functionaity (there is no
> cockies handling for ex.)

Assuming you mean "cookies" (calling Dr Freud?), then I have the start of a
cookie encoder/decode.  I'm still running via CGI, though, so scripts have
to add them to the headers themselves.  I've just reread the slib manuals
and it looks like rewriting it as an slib extension may be the easiest way
to turn this into its own small http server, to avoid any startup problems
and allow database connection pooling.

> That we all are _really_ needing is power transaction system. Which will
> keep state of user connection and their "variables".
> It's seems continuations are ideal tool for this, but ...

Yes, indeed, but I don't understand how to do the necessary housekeeping of
continutations.  If I could serialise them for storage, I think I could do
it, or if I used a built-in http server in a continuously running system,
then a conventional cache model would also allow me to do it.

In fact, at the moment, I don't generate session ids, but that needs to
change very soon.

Oh well, perhaps I'll start a list about this topic as soon as I get time.
There is much to do and I think I'm starting to understand how to do it.

--
MJR