Re: Web development

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Web development
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 23:34:46 +0000

Sergey:
>  the russian association are not fit exactly to english ones. But i've got
>  your joke.

Thank $DEITY for that.  Now, if only I had time to learn a neutral language
right now.

> >then I have the start of a
> > cookie encoder/decode.  I'm still running via CGI, though, so scripts have
> > to add them to the headers themselves.
> Probably you will find helpfull my guile FastCGI interface? It's the way
> Zope developers integrated Python in Web. And the only portable way to
> make database-web applications.

Yes, I've already downloaded the fastcgi interface, but I don't have time to
use it for my next deployment and I'm a bit limited by the "non-free" status
of fastcgi.

On the plus point, the cookie endecoder is now 90% complete and supporting a
session implementation.  I think the session implementation will go for a
rewrite before being released, though, as it's very hacky.

> I've tried to make my transactional and state-keeping system, but find
> myself inventing another environment/continuation mechanism. I'm not so
> clever to make it pretty good, but can't find out how to use existing.
> So, i've desided to give up with state-less http -- my current task can
> be easy solved within telnet -- cacheFS... But idea did not die.

So, maybe someone on this list knows if there is a way to store
continuations?  I'm sure the brighter people here must have done some work
in this line, as I've not got a clue on that part of the problem.
Otherwise, the stand-alone server rather than the fastcgi is going to have
to be the way forwards.

> > Oh well, perhaps I'll start a list about this topic as soon as I get time.
> > There is much to do and I think I'm starting to understand how to do it.
> I found it would be better to dig in Microsoft Tranaction Server
> description and Zope sources befory any attempt to bring guile into web.
>  ...or ugly PHP'ish bastard will be born.

Well, I probably should go dig around in their architecture docs, although I
am familiar with some other application servers.  Does someone have good
URLs that they could give me, please?

I'm all too aware that PHP ("the BASIC of the next Years" -- Thies, quoted
by forcer) and similar solutions are regarded as the state of the art, but
I'm also all too aware of their limitations and want to find a third way
through what Bruce Lewis calls "RAD vs MVC".  Surely rapid development
doesn't mean not having separation of concerns?

In other news: why isn't guile-fltk on the projects list?  Surely with fltk
being adopted for embedded systems, having a guile implementation is a good
thing?
--
MJR