Re: Re: Web development

From: Sergey Dolin
Subject: Re: Re: Web development
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:43:48 +0500

> Yes, I've already downloaded the fastcgi interface, but I don't have time to
> use it for my next deployment
You shoud think carefully about it. All the fastcgi adds to your
cgi application is "accept-loop"

 ...some one time initialisation...
 (while (fcgi:accept)
   ...ordinal cgi...)

It cost nothing, but have many benefits (you can easy share database
conections for ex.)

>and I'm a bit limited by the "non-free" status
> of fastcgi.
Really?

> > I've tried to make my transactional and state-keeping system, but find
> > myself inventing another environment/continuation mechanism. I'm not so
> > clever to make it pretty good, but can't find out how to use existing.
> So, maybe someone on this list knows if there is a way to store
> continuations?
It's not main problem. You can keep continuation in memory. You can
(best way) use XML. O! It's realy the best way -- must be done only one
thing: DTD for all guile types... Subsystem "to publish" XML doc into
guile... Standards for extend this DTD to store users' smobs...
Thats all.

 But my problems are others:
 i.Guile
 1)I want to return to each http-query  continuation the same user
 has been working before.
 2)User can "start transaction" during wich hi is modifing some
 "transactional objects". In the moment he (or system) may decide to
 "rollback" all chandes. But only for "transactional" objects no more.

   I've solved second task by inventing my goops-db system which
   implement (define-transact-class) macro and metaclass which created
   classes with "transactional" slots. But where (and how) should old
   values of slots be saved? Especially arrays, lists and so on...

   Doing this storage (and making storing) i've got myself inventing
   another continuations...

   And "real" continuations do not fit becouse they are keepng state of
   _all_ bindings.

  ii.HTTP
  1)which user is the "same"? I've made http query... opened another
  window and made second. Am i "same" user or not?

  iii.Apache.
  Well. I defined policy, made user identity by cookies... But next http
  query is handled _another_ httpd or fcgi process. Damn it!

> in this line, as I've not got a clue on that part of the problem.
> Otherwise, the stand-alone server rather than the fastcgi is going to have
> to be the way forwards.
I think so... I've looked for for OpenSource multithreaded http server,
knowing about russian encodings, having FastCGI and working on AIX.
Failed.

--
Sergey
Mutt/1.2.5i*FVWM2*[FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE]*(486DX2-50/20/730 Digial HiNote cs450)