Re: Guile 1.5.4 beta ready for testing.

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: Guile 1.5.4 beta ready for testing.
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 02:47:02 -0500

> From: Chris Cramer <address@hidden>

> Maybe I used the wrong argument, but the slowness of Guile startup just
> really, really annoys me. It also annoys me that people are often telling
> me that they don't use Guile because it's slow.

Are you using last year's version?  Do you have fsck in your .guile file?
On every machine I have (and I don't have the latest hotrods, just
three year old cheap Intel), with Guile 1.5.4, when I type "guile"
for the first time it shows the prompt within a couple hundred
milliseconds.  When I type it the second time (so it's already in VM)
well I can't see a delay at all.  It prints the "guile>" prompt
about as fast as X can scroll the window up to make room for it.

I think Guile's start-up speed problems are over.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <address@hidden>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---