Re: New to Guile/Scheme

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: New to Guile/Scheme
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:26:26 +0100 (MET)

> From: Andrew McDowell <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:42:46 -0600
>
> I'm very new to Guile and the Scheme world in general.

Welcome!

> I'm working on a research project that needed a simple
> control/configuration language and I felt that Guile would be
> ideally suited for the task.  Is there any good reference
> documentation out there?  I've found the Tutorial (Kudos to the
> author, it's what swayed me to choose Guile over Tcl) and Data
> Representation guide, but I need more of a Scheme oriented reference
> listing what's available above and beyond the Standard and R^[45]R.
> I noticed there is a mention of a Guile Reference Manual, but I'm
> unable to find it.  Could someone shoot me a pointer to it's
> location?

The Guile Reference Manual is (for example) available at

http://www.glug.org/docbits/guile-doc-out/html/guile-1.7.0/guile_toc.html

but note that this is the manual for the upcoming release 1.6.  If you
are using 1.4 or older, some features may be documented which are new
to Guile and which may not be available in your version.

http://www.glug.org/docbits/guile-doc-out/html/guile-1.7.0/guile_19.html#SEC141

contains links to a nice Scheme tutorial by Dorai Sitaram and the
online version of `Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs',
the classic introduction to computer science and Scheme.

Best regards,
  'martin