Re: Web development

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Web development
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:30:04 +0000

> It'd be nice to see ".guile" start popping up in URLs rather than .pl
> or .cgi or .php or .asp.  :)

Indeed it would.  Will it be possible to add new handlers from guile?  I can
think of *some* sites would be useful to have .laml files, too, but if they
have to be some sort of .guile, that's no big problem.

>     I suppose I ought to know how to test for that, but it misses me
>     at 3am :-/
> I guess you have a point.  Heh.

We seem to have a function unspecified? returning a boolean.

> What is the standard thing to return when in C one would return NULL?

I prefer #f, but someone here will probably now educate me as to the folly
of my ways.

> Or should I throw an exception?  Hmm.

No, please. ;-)

>     I haven't checked whether automated tools like w3c's Tidy can cope
>     with xhtml extended in this way, though.
>
> Hmm, I wouldn't expect Tidy to cope with HB's code directly, just like
> I wouldn't expect it to cope with C code that generates HTML.

Oh whoops.  I thought you only needed the :out &c lines when you were
including executable code.  I just assumed there was a .hb handler where I'd
write it as

I'm now slightly worried about HB because of the code you showed me... :-/

The benchmarks don't look as bad as I'd've thought and hopefully hb's httpd
should improve things a bit more.

Thanks,
--
MJR