Re: dynamic-link and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: dynamic-link and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:53:19 +0100 (MET)

> From: "Anthony W. Juckel" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:09:36 -0600
>
> Here's the problem.  When I try to use (dynamic-link "libname.so") it
> appears that dynamic-link tries the first path
> available, but if that doesn't work, it gives up and returns an error.
>  Is there any way to get dynamic-link to search
> all library paths available until it either finds a working library, or
> exhausts its choices?

To which path are you referring?  The directories in ld.conf, the PATH
variable or the LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Your shared objects should either reside in one of the directories in
your ld.conf file (if you run GNU/Linux, don't know about other
systems) or you should add the directory where the shared object is to
your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables.  The
PATH variable does not matter, it is only used for searching
programs.

> I've tried substituting the absolute path to the library, and that seems
> to work fine, but no luck on getting it to find
> the library itself.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  Am I
> misunderstanding the usage of dynamic-link?

This specific problem I do not understand.  Is it working or not?  I
think it should.

'martin