Re: One trivial querstion about datatype

From: Dmitry Morozhnikov
Subject: Re: One trivial querstion about datatype
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:05:16 +0800 (IRKT)

On 21 Dec 2001, Alex Shinn wrote:

AS> This is probably the closest thing to a "sequence," in that it
AS> will give almost vector speed access and will perform well if you
AS> build the sequence in order.

Yes, thanks for detailed explanation!  I  adopt  this  (just  make
allocation chunk of elements instread of one) and  see  this  have
acceptable speed on adding elements.

But why guile can`t have vector-set-length! as in SCM? It is  easy
in implementation and usefull.

AS>   If access speed is the most important thing, and you're
AS> building up arbitrary elements of a potentially large sequence,
AS> you might consider a hash.

I think it`s overkill. :-)

AS>   If you want something more like the list/array data types in
AS> scripting languages such as Python/Perl, where you want to
AS> quickly push elements onto either end of the data structure (
AS> treating them both as vectors and lists) then you might try a
AS> list of vectors rather than the single vector above.  Appending (
AS> pushing, etc.) applies the above approach to the last element of
AS> the list, and cons (unshift in Perl speak) then means cons'ing a
AS> new single element vector onto the front of the list (probably
AS> with consolidation routines).

It`s intresting..  Go  look  how  it  implemented  in  perl..  How
determine time when list of many vectors must be rebuilded in  one
vector for fast referencing?

--
DM, Dmitry Morozhnikov, PGPKEY 0xB6C14D95