Scheming over a PHP replacement

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Scheming over a PHP replacement
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 07:22:52 -0800

In the process of trying to accomplish another project, I
have created an extensible HTML format that is remarkably
similar to PHP, except that it uses Guile/Scheme as the
extension language, instead of whatever PHP's language is.
The file is invoked as in:

  http://www.someware.com/cgi-bin/autogen?-Tnameoftemplate.tpl

and that "nameoftemplate.tpl" file should contain:

<? autogen5 template ?>
content: text/html

<head> ... head stuff ... </head>

anywhere within this template, you can insert:

  <? (scheme-expressions) ?>

and the results of the evaluation will go into the output.
You can also:

  <? while (scheme-expression-yields-true) ?>
    ....whatever  ....
  <? endwhile ?>

to repeat blocks over and over.  Obviously, there is
much more, too, if you look at:

  http://autogen.sourceforge.net

Please note:  I fully expect this to work (it works for me :)
but I would be really happy of one or two other people tried
it to see if there are any glaring issues that others would
bump into.  Please try this:

  http://autogen.sourceforge.net/data/autogen-5.3.0pre.tar.gz

I recommend building with ``--disable-shell'' so that no
shell commands can accidentally "escape" from user input.  :-)

(p.s., it will accept input from forms, too, using either
"GET" or "POST" format.  The values can be substituted into
the template with:

  <? field-name ?>

*OR*:

  <? (get "field-name") ?>

Of course, you can use delimiters other than "<?" and "?>",
just change the punctuation surrounding the "autogen5 template"
at the top.  Thanks!  Regards, Bruce