Re: ams-pers-scheme-0.01

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: ams-pers-scheme-0.01
Date: 26 Dec 2001 10:03:50 +0900

    Thi> oops, that's a bug.  do you have a patch i can apply to the
    Thi> template?  if not, i will add a simple check for presence of
    Thi> RCS or CVS subdirs.

The current Makefile takes a "least changes" approach which does a cvs
co instead of rcs co (for each file, on a remote server, so make dist
took several minutes :) This'll bug me enough to write something else
soon.

    Thi> i notice the "dependency checks might be nice" comment.  have
    Thi> you considered adapting (scripts use2dot) for this purpose?

Nice... I'm considering it now.  But we also need to distinguish between
modules and packages, and allow for manually setting the dependencies by
the author.  Probably something like the Debian share-lib dependencies
check - the author of a package should manually specify a list of
package (not module) dependencies, one of which could be the
meta-package `auto'.  If present, we run the package's .scm files
through use2dot, and lookup the modules there in currently known
packages to find additional dependencies.

But am I the only person thinking this shouldn't be Guile-specific?
Maybe that's too hard a goal, but it would be really nice if all the
different Scheme implementations had access to the same Scheme
repository, with packages marked as to which Schemes they work with.  At
first, most packages would only work with their native Scheme, but the
existence of gumm might encourage some standardization and consolidation
of efforts.

--
Alex