Re: What debugger breakpoint features would you like?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: What debugger breakpoint features would you like?
Date: 04 Feb 2002 20:45:39 +0000

    Rob> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
    >> For example, the existing `trace' feature can be implemented as a
    >> breakpoint that doesn't cause Guile to enter the debugger but has
    >> a thunk to do the required tracing.

    Rob> (Reminds me that one of these days I might want to go back and look a
    Rob>  the statistical profiler some more -- it uses traps right now, but
    Rob>  ISTR there might be some problems with that.

I don't think there's any problem per se in using traps.  The
practical difficulty is that the raw evaluator-traps interface doesn't
give any support for different applications (debugger, profiler, trace
etc.) sharing those traps.  Part of what I'm trying to work out with
the debugger work is what a sensible shareable traps interface might
look like.  I'd definitely like/need to throw the needs of the
profiler into that mix at some point.

    Rob>  Also, I've wondered how, if it would be feasible at all, we might be
    Rob>  able to allow explicit profiling -- i.e. what about tail-recursion,
    Rob>  etc...)

Not sure what you mean here; can you explain further?  Tail recursion
certainly complicates the use of traps, but I think they give you just
enough information to work everything out.

        Neil