Re: why doesn't gimp use guile?

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: why doesn't gimp use guile?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:44:13 -0800

Alejandro Forero Cuervo wrote:
Okay, replace XML for XML-based languages  in my post and read it again.
I'm  sorry to  have tought  it  was obvious  that I  was speaking  about
XML-based languages rather than just XML The Format.

It's not obvious, because a lot of people have no idea what XML is.

My point is that MANY  persons are using XML-based custom-made languages

That wouldn't surprise me.  However, XSLT is the only one I know about
(i.e. in wide-spread use) that I would classifify as a programming
language ratherthan a data format.

I'm not so  sure for configuration files (though I  agree with you about
data).  There  are many situations  where I  think Scheme code  would be
a  lot  better than  XML,  since  you  could  "create" the  actual  data
dinamically.   Take, for  example,  Apache's configuration.   If it  was
based  in Scheme,  you could  have some  code that  generates your  2000
Virtual hosts dinamically as the file is read rather than having to keep
the list  updated (or  to invent yet  another custom-made  (XML-based or
not) extension language).

Even more often useful, I suspect, would be conditionals.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/per/