Re: bgb, introduction...

From: cr88192 sydney
Subject: Re: bgb, introduction...
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:14:50 +0000

well, I will check out cvs docs...

my main engine is in c, but the details of what to do in lisp and what to do in c are foggy... the renderer exists in c and I think I will leave it there... the clearness problem comes in with the entity/model/physics/net stuff, which is not really fully written yet. a basic set of model/entity stuff exists, but is not really complete. I may move this into lisp, but I am not really sure how a clean interaction between the rendering and model stuff would work then, the "smob" context maybe.

in any case serious work still needs to be done.
actually my engine code (after being left alone for a little while), needs a bit of work anyways. I have a general teqnique for writting stuff: write code for one project, hack it off and use it somewhere else (cleaning up problems), hack it off and ruese again and so forth. my code seems to get cleaned up in this process, and after it has been through a few projects it usually is a lot "cleaner" than it was originally.

ok, I had also considered somehow hacking the code into different chunks (one being render, sound, ...) the other (entity, physics, ...). the general problem: in my engine most of these parts are not so lightly connected. if I rewrote I could probably seperate them. many parts would still be shared.

ok, I had been considering changing the model format I use, I had used a format I had created, I can: continue to use it; switch to vrml; or possibly use lisp to build the models (which I think would be most flexible). personally I don't really like vrml, as its workings are not very similar to those of my engine (pov ray is in some ways closer and in some ways further, but still not a very good match).
using lisp as the model format oddly enough seems best.

I have found a usable cad program at least, meaning I don't have to write my own. it can output vrml, pov-ray, and a few other formats. using other formats will probably require me to make conversion tools. too bad there is no good general model format (in my oppinion at least vrml isn't so good).

well, if by block structure something like what exists in c is meant, or is it something different? I had heard it doesn't use any kind of brackets and you have to get the tabbing right (which I think would be a pian).

I guess if python is more well known then that deserves consideration... from what I saw of it it didn't look as clean as lisp does, but I had not looked at it much.

clean probably has a lot to do with who is looking at it though.

I can't really write very well for now, as I am tired.