Re: Guile XMMS bindings available

From: rm
Subject: Re: Guile XMMS bindings available
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:43:39 +0100

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 09:15:28AM -0500, Dave Lambert wrote:

> I've finished bindings allowing Guile to talk to XMMS, the MP3
> (amongst other things) player.  Until I get somewhere permanent set
> up, it will live at:
>
>         http://guile-simplesql.sourceforge.net/

Cool, but after i succesfully comiled and installed it i got the
following:

  guile> (use-modules (apps xmms))
  guile: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/libguile-apps-xmms.so.0: undefined
symbol: scm_protect_object
  bash-2.05$

  bash-2.05$ guile -c '(display (version))(newline)'
  1.7.0
  bash-2.05$

- Looking at /usr/local/lib/libguile.so:  there's no such function.

- Looking at $GUILE/NEWS:

|  These are just nicer-named old scm_protect_object and
|  scm_unprotect_object.
|
|  ** Deprecated functions: scm_protect_object, scm_unprotect_object

Hmm, since when does 'deprecated' mean 'removed'?????

- Looking  at $GUILE/libguile/ChangeLog:

|  2001-08-31  Dirk Herrmann  <address@hidden>
|         SCM_GCCDR), gc.[ch] (scm_remember, scm_protect_object,
|         scm_unprotect_object), modules.c (root_module_lookup_closure,
|         Removed.

As much as a like this cleaning-up orgy, i would _really_ apreciate a cleaner
way to find out about such changes. Not having a central file that describes
the API changes since version nn is a major pain if you need to keep an
application
on sync with libguile (and not everyone reads guile-devel). From my own
experiences
i could imagine this will be a dreadfull experience for all the application
maintainers
out there who need to update once 1.6 is out.

  Ralf Mattes