guile & slib's arrays and records

From: Panagiotis Vossos
Subject: guile & slib's arrays and records
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:27:54 +0200

Why does guile refuse to use slib's implementation of records and
arrays?  Is anybody else having the same problem or have I done
something wrong during slib installation?  Here's a sample session:

guile> (version)
"1.5.6"
guile> (array? '(1 2 3))
#t
guile> (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
guile> (require 'array)
#t
guile> (array? '(1 2 3))
#t
guile> (load "/usr/share/slib/record.scm")
guile> (load "/usr/share/slib/array.scm")
guile> (array? '(1 2 3))
#f

As you can see, when loading slib through the module system, guile
continues to use the native version of array?.  However, when
(load)ing the slib files directly everything works as expected.  Slib
arrays are implemented as slib records, which (unlike guile native
records) are disjoint with other data types.  I noticed this because
some slib function relied on disjointness of types.

I have slib 2d3, which was installed creating a symlink to
/usr/share/slib in /usr/share/guile/site, and executing as root
'guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'new-catalog)"'

I have tested also UMB scheme with slib and (array? '(1 2 3)) gives #f
as expected.

best regards,
        panagiotis.