Help, Guidance for Guile Module Builders

From: Evan Prodromou
Subject: Help, Guidance for Guile Module Builders
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:43:36 -0600

So, I'd like to assemble some kind of document that gives
"recommended" coding suggestions for Guile modules -- especially those
that aspire to participation in GUMM.

If I was going to lay out a quick example, I'd say this...

    * Use autoconf, automake, and GNU make to build and install modules

    * Use texinfo to document module interfaces

      (Note: any semi-official way to "snarf" documentation from
      Scheme-only interfaces into texinfo form? From scheme-and-C
      combined modules?)

    * Use greg as a regression testing tool

I'd also like to assemble a set of good Guile-related autoconf macros
into a single package that would make Guile-related autoconf stuff
easier.

I'd love to get to the point where these macros would get included as
part of the autoconf (or automake) standard distribution. Hey, GUILE
_is_ the GNU extension language, after all. Shouldn't GNU build
tools support using Guile? I mean really. Automake (written in Perl)
already has Python support. Phooey!

Lastly, I'd like to put together a (guile hello) module -- in the
spirit of GNU hello -- that shows best practices for making a Guile
module for wide distribution.

Anyways, any suggestions, guidance, support or interest?

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
address@hidden