Re: My Guile Wishlist

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: My Guile Wishlist
Date: 19 Mar 2002 19:56:11 +0000

    Evan> So, while I've been thinking about Guile, I've been considering some
    Evan> of the things that I wish were part of the system that aren't. Because
    Evan> they're on my mind right now, I figure I'll post them.

Useful list - thanks!

    Evan> 1. I wish there weren't so much detritus in the Scheme interface that
    Evan>    Guile provides.

One thing that we need to do here is figure out how to divide up
everything currently in boot-9.scm.

I totally agree with everything else, except for ...

    Evan> 3. I wish that when I loaded Guile, I could get a system with only
    Evan>    R5RS Scheme + modules support, until I started loading stuff. I
    Evan>    wish that anything in Guile that was an enhancement to Scheme had
    Evan>    to be loaded with (use-modules).

I think it is OK for `guile' to include some Guile extensions, as long
as we also provide a `guile --pure' for what you want.

    Evan> 4. I wish that I could do this:

    Evan>    #! /usr/bin/env guile
    Evan>    !#

Nah.  OS-dependent eye candy, IMO.

    Evan> 12. I wish that when I went through the documentation for Guile, I
    Evan>     would be constantly amazed at the elegance and utility of the
    Evan>     design, rather than thinking, "What the hell is a low-level object
    Evan>     interface, why do none of the functions have reasonable
    Evan>     documentation, and why the hell would I ever use this?" or, "Who
    Evan>     cares what Aubrey Jaffer did in 1993?"

Please feel free to suggest patches, no matter how small.  (In fact
small is better, since it doesn't raise paperwork issues.)

        Neil