Re: [Fwd: guile-1.7.x and load-extension]

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: [Fwd: guile-1.7.x and load-extension]
Date: 21 Mar 2002 00:17:34 +0100

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> David Pirotte <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> since I use guile, notably guile-1.5.4 and more recently cvs
> >> versions of guile-1.7, up to 5th dec 01 (or a very close day around
> >> the 5th, can't remember exactly), it accepted to load the '.so'
> >> libraries.
> >>
> >> now it seems to only look for '.la' libraries, see the strace
> >> output below. the '.so' libraries are present:
>
> Did you ever get this resolved?
>
> If not, a few things to watch:
>
>   * In newer guiles, load-extension is deprecated and should be
>     replaced with something like

Nooo!  It's the other way around: load-extension is the new thing, and
you should use it in preference to a dynamic-link/dynamic-call combo.
However, dynamic-link and dynamic-call are not deprecated since they
are useful on its own.

Apparently some docs about this are confusing.  Can you say where you
learned that load-extension is deprecated?